Guitars Are Taking Over The World

Or something like that.

Name:
Location: Linn Creek, Missouri, United States

Married since 1979, with 3 children, and a grandbaby.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

We had to cancel church yesterday. There was no way anyone could get up the hill. Two inches of ice with 15 inches of snow on top and no one to clear it away. We've been sort of stuck on top of the hill since Thursday afternoon.

I haven't been snowed in for a long time, but this big snow has brought back memories of big snow. I remember:
  • When I was a kid in Indiana. It would snow before or around Thanksgiving. When we got enough snow in one or two snows, we didn't see the ground until the spring thaw. I remember drifts 8-15 feet high.
  • One time, in first grade, we over slept. Mom got me up and hurriedly dressed and fed me. I was late for the bus stop, so they my folks sent me across the back yard to catch the bus on in the block behind us. The snow was so high (for a 6-year old boy) that I didn't catch the bus before it moved on.
  • We never missed a day of school because snow conditions were too bad, though we did get out of school one period early my senior year so that everyone could get home before it was too bad. I missed PE that day. I went walking and helped push a couple of people out of snow banks. It was quite fun.
  • The kids on our block would get together in the field behind the school and play tackle football. It was great. With several inches of snow on the ground, no one got hurt.
  • During Christmas break from school my youth group would go out to a lodge owned by some friends and sled and toboggan down the hill for the afternoon. One time, we took the 4 man toboggan and tried to jump it but broke it in half. I was in the front.
  • My freshman year of college, the day before Thanksgiving, it snowed like crazy. They let classes out at 9 AM, instead of noon. The group I was travelling home with didn't leave until after 2 PM. We had a 12 hour drive under idea conditions, but we waited until things were at their worst and it took us more than 17 hours. I got to sit in the back seat of a 2-door Ford Pinto hatchback, going between 24-35 miles an hour until we got to Indiana where the roads were clear.

Just a few snow memories.


Psalm 33:3 The best instrument you have is your heart!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home